It seems that whenever I mention this recipe to someone I get the whole “chicken fried WWWHHHAAATTT????” and to be honest when I first heard about this dish some 30 years ago when it was called “Steak and Bake” I had the same reaction. Well fast forward 30 years and it’s not a stranger anymore.
One of the reasons I really like this recipe is that it is using an inexpensive cut of meat that does not require and inordinate amount of time to cook AND when you add smashed potatoes , “milk” gravy and a vegetable you can feed a family of four for under $20.00. That’s right you heard me — UNDER $20.00.
– 1 2 pound Round steak
– 1 Cup of flour
– ½ cup milk
– 2 Tablespoon salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion
– 3 Eggs (whisked)
– 1 Cup bread crumbs or cracker meal (I use Kellogg’s bread crumbs)
– 1 Cup of milk
– ½ cup Butter
– 1/2 Cup plus 3 tablespoons Canola oil
– Chicken stock
– 1 Medium onion, diced
– Cut the steak into four serving sizes
– Mix the spices with the flour and place on a flat surface
– Dip the steak into the seasoned flour then the eggs and finally the bread crumbs
– Repeat with all four pieces
– Heat a half cup of Canola oil in a large non- stick pan
– Fry the steak until golden brown
– Remove from the oil and drain on some paper towel
– In a separate sauté pan heat the remaining Canola oil and add the butter
– Sauté the onions until just translucent, about three minutes
– Sprinkle in half the seasoned flour and whisk until incorporated
– Allow the flour to cook off for approx. 5 minutes
– Slowly add the chicken stock until you get the consistency you want
– Add the milk and let reduce until the gravy is as thick as you would like
Serve the steak with your sides, I suggest smashed potatoes and green beans and ladel on the gravy.
There you have it. Simple ,tasty and inexpensive.