Fish is one of those versatile ingredients that is so under utilized in my house and it shouldn’t be simply because it not only tastes good but is good for you and there are endless ways to prepare it.
This recipe is great for a quick and easy lunch and when complimented by a nice salad it hits all the right notes.
Cooks note: I use Basa (Vietnamese Catfish) because it is a firm white flesh fish that holds up well to various applications and is inexpensive but feel free to use whatever fish you like.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 4 Basa filets
- 2 Eggs
- sliced Tomatoes
- 1 cup All Purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay® seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Pepper
- 4 soft Kaiser rolls
- Canola Oil for frying
Putting it all together:
- In a non reactive bowl mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper and Old Bay®.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs together.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large deep pan.
- Dredge the fish in the flour, egg and flour and cook in the oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the fish to drain on a paper towel.
- Split the kaisers and lightly toast the inside.
- Spread mayonnaise on the bottom bun topped with a tomato slice and the fish.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….