Chicken and Shrimp with Sauce Cantonese
The sauce recipe for this dish comes from a book, The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking, that was published back in 1985 and has 2000 recipes in it. I chose this sauce as it appeared to pair well with Chicken and Shrimp and I also had 95% of all the ingredients in the house.
I was pleased with the overall taste of this recipe however I was disappointed in the amount of sauce it produced as I would have liked more.
Cooks note: Increase the sauce recipe by 1/3 – 1/2 for a more saucier result.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 bag 31-40 Shrimp – peeled and tail off
- 2 Chicken breast – sliced into small piece
- 1 large package Udon noodles
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
- 3 Garlic cloves – grated
- 1 1/2 pounds Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Dry Sherry
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch with 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 Egg – beaten
- 2 Green Onion tops – chopped for garnish
Putting it all together:
- Heat the oil in a large Fry pan or Wok and cook the chicken in batches and set aside.
- In a large non reactive mixing bowl combine the remaining ingredients except the Shrimp, Egg, Green Onions, Peas and Cornstarch and water.
- Pour the sauce ingredients into the pan or wok and bring just to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together and whisk into the boiling sauce. Reduce the heat and let simmer until it starts to thicken.
- Temper the beaten egg by adding a small amount of the sauce liquid and then add to the pan/wok and stir well.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the green onion and simmer until the shrimp is cooked.
- Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Plate the noodles, top with the sauce and green onions and enjoy.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……..
5 thoughts on “Chicken and Shrimp with Sauce Cantonese”
Looks great! I’d want more sauce too.
Thank you ma am
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.