Ground Beef Stew With Mashed Potatoes
The idea for this dinner came from a conversation I had with my wife where we were reminiscing about the old days and the types of things we used to have for dinner. Now my wife, being born in Manchester England, had a lot of things that were typical in a British household…. Fish and Chips, Lamb Chops, Shepherds Pie just to name a few but there was one that stuck in my head and is the inspiration for this dish….. Ground Beef Gravy With Mashed Potatoes and it is something my late Mother-In-Law loved to make.
This recipe is my version of this old time favorite and I hope you enjoy it.
Cooks note: This is a budget friendly recipe. It fed 6 for less than $20.00.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 3/4 cup Beef stock
- 4 – 6 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 7 Yukon Gold Potatoes – peeled and cubed
- 4 Garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
- 1 medium White Onion – chopped
- 1 26 ounce bag of frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1 28 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 3/4 cups Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- In a large pot of salted water cook the potatoes until just fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking brown the ground beef in a large frying pan.
- When browned remove the ground beef, drain the grease and add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add back the beef and mix in the vegetables, tomatoes, Worcestershire, beef stock and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 15 mins.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with the butter and milk.
- Plate the mashed potatoes and top with the stew.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time………
One thought on “Ground Beef Stew With Mashed Potatoes”