This classic appetizer was the First course of my Culinary School Practical Exam and although it looks difficult it really isn’t. The biggest pain is getting all the components together and then figuring out how to plate it. This was my design—- simple but classy at the same time. Now you may notice the Tuna is well done when it should be rare and that is because my “taster”wanted her Tuna and her Steak well done without realizing that well done Tuna slices terribly and falls apart which makes plating a wee bit difficult….. aw well…. did the best under the circumstances.
Here’s how we do this one.
- Mixed greens—- small bunch
- Potatoes— Fingerling 3
- Green beans washed and trimmed— 8
- Tuna (yellow fin)—- One three ounce piece
- Anchovy fillets—- 1-2 depending on size
- Black olives— Pitted 6
- Hard cooked egg, sliced or quartered—- 1 egg
- Tomato wedges—- 4
- Chopped parsley for garnish
For the vinaigrette:
- 40 ml Olive oil
- 10 ml White wine vinegar
- Chopped garlic— 1-2 cloves
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- Mix all the ingredients together for the vinaigrette and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until just fork tender
- Slice and grill the potatoes just until there are grill marks.
- Dress with a little of the vinaigrette and refrigerate
- Cook the bean in boiling salted water.
- Drain, cool and dress with a bit of the vinaigrette
- Line a small salad bowl with the mixed greens
- Plate the green beans and potatoes how you like
- Grill the Tuna until it is rare. Cool and slice
- Place the Tuna on the top of the mixed greens.
- Arrange the Anchovies on top of the Tuna
- Arrange the tomato wedges, olives and egg around the plate as you wish.
- Sprinkle with some of the chopped parsley
- Serve cold.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond”.
Until next time…….