Arroz Con Pollo
“Arroz Con Pollo” is simply the Cuban version of Chicken and Rice but it is the ingredients that sets it apart from the day to day version. Additions like Safron, Cumin and Olives bring out the “exotic” flavours that make this dish work and that makes it something you want to make again and again.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 4 Chicken thighs and 2 Chicken legs
- 2 cups Rice
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil for frying
- 1 large yellow Onion – chopped
- 1 large Red Pepper – chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves – chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes – rough chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen Peas
- 1 cup stuffed Green Olives
- 1 teaspoon Saffron or Tumeric
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch Oven or frying pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove from the pan
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic to the chicken fat and cook until the onion is translucent
- Add the remaining ingredients except the Olives and Peas and mix well. Arrange the chicken on top of the rice and simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes add the peas and mix. When the rice and chicken are done top with the olives and serve.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….