I had recently purchased a couple of frozen pie shells because I was too lazy to make them from scratch and after using one for a pie I was kind of stuck on what to do with the other since I really didn’t want it taking up freezer space indefinitely.
I’m not entirely certain where the brainstorm for this one came from but it works and it is really good plus I got to use some of the remaining hot peppers from my garden.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 pound ground Pork
- 1 pound ground Beef
- 1 nine inch frozen Pie crust
- 1 1/2 Green Habaneros – finely chopped
- 1 medium Yellow Onion – diced
- 1 medium Yellow pepper – diced
- 1 medium Red pepper – diced
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- Shredded Cheddar
- Chopped Green Onion for garnish
- Diced Tomato for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish
Putting it all together:
- Preheat your oven to 350° and bake the pie crust for approximately 15 minutes
- In a large pan brown the pork and the beef, drain the grease setting the meat aside.
- In the same pan saute the yellow onion, red and yellow peppers for about four minutes
- Add back in the browned meat, hot peppers, seasonings and chicken stock, stirring well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and put in the oven for about 10 minutes. Cover with the cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly. About another 4 minutes
- Top with the green onions, tomatoes and sour cream and enjoy.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……