Chicken and Orzo stew
This recipe came about as a result of my daughter and grandson getting sick and asking “daddy/pops” to make something comfy cozy to eat so I went looking and found the base for this recipe at Chicken Farmers of Canada.
Now for those that don’t know me a request of “make me something comfy cozy”will not result in a batch of chicken soup even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with chicken soup. It’s just that I like to come up with tasty alternatives and this one fits that category to a “T” and both my “patients” loved it.
Here then is how we do this one.
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Medium sized boneless skinless chicken breast– cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Vidalia onion— diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 14 fl oz (415 mL) diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 cup of rough chopped Crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup (250 mL) Orzo
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) kosher salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of Tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander
- freshly chopped parsley, for serving