We had a BBQ for family and friends this past weekend and along with the typical burgers, sausage and pulled pork I decided to do a side dish that I don’t normally think of doing but decided to for this occasion because although it can be found at almost every BBQ get together it is pretty much never found at mine….. Pasta Salad.
Now everybody and I do mean everybody has there own version of a pasta salad. Some like it with Farfale or Penne while others prefer a creamy dressing and still others want less veggies….. I even know someone who once put red wine in theirs.
The hardest part for me was coming up with a dressing that was suited to the other ingredients however after a little searching I managed to come up with one.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 box Tri Coloured Fusili (or your pasta of choice)
- 1 English Cucumber – chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes – deseaded and chopped
- 1 large Red pepper – rough chopped
- 1 Large Yellow pepper – rough chopped
- 4 Green onions – chopped
- 1 bag Shredded Old cheddar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Grainy Mustard
- Fresh chopped Basil and Oregano – about 3 tablespoons each
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- In a large pot of salted water cook the pasta per the package instructions.
- In a non reactive container mix together the Olive oil, Red wine vinegar, Granulated garlic, Grainy mustard, herbs, salt and pepper. Seal and set aside.
- When the pasta has cooked and cooled add the vegetables and cheese and blend well.
- Shake the dressing well and pour over the salad. Mix thoroughly and top with more cheese.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time………