Chicken and Tomato casserole
This recipe comes from my Diabetes cookbook and with some embellishments from me (because I can’t help myself) it turned out to be one of the best, and healthiest, casseroles I think I have ever made. I will most certainly be making this one again.
Here’s how we do this one.
- Eight bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- One 10 ounce tin black beans
- One 16 ounce tin diced tomatoes
- Three tablespoons dried Oregano
- Three tablespoons granulated Garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed olives
- Two cups Long Grain Rice
- Four tablespoons Canola oil
- Chicken dry rub (see Dry Rubs and Marinades)
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
Putting it all together:
- Pre heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly season the chicken thighs with the dry rub
- In a large non reactive bowl mix together all the other ingredients and pour into a large casserole dish
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan and brown the chicken on both sides
- Place the chicken on top of the tomato mixture and put in the oven for approximately 35 minutes or until the chicken hits 165 degrees internal.
- Garnish with Parsley and serve.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond”
Until next time……………..