This may very well be my first and only foray into the world of making bread. You see I don’t bake a lot—– truth be told I do very little baking simply because it is not something that is in my “wheelhouse” (otherwise known as my comfort zone) but since I was making some biscuits for a family gathering I thought I would try my hand at it and see where we got to and since it was a present for my mother I will have to wait to receive the verdict.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is one of those “simple but tasty recipes for the grilling season and beyond” and is so versatile it can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner or even a late night snack when you are feeling a wee bit peckish. One of the other great things about this recipe is that you can twist it and turn it and add all kinds of things to make it yours.
Try adding things like Jalapenos, bacon, dill or BACON AND JALAPENOS. The combinations are near limitless.
Here’s the one that I put together……….
- 2 1/2 cups of All Purpose (ap) flour
- 1/4 sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 melted butter
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded old or sharp cheddar
Putting it all together:
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium size bowl mix the first seven ingredients together
- In a large measuring cup add the milk,egg and melted butter and whisk until well incorporated
- Mix the cheese into the dry ingredients
- Add the buttermilk mixture and mix with a spatula until just wet. If it looks a little to thick you can add some water
- Spoon into a pre greased (use cooking spray as it’s easier) 4 x 8 loaf pan
- Bang the pan on the counter a couple of times in an effort to get the mixture to settle and avoid air bubbles
- Pop the pan into the oven and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for about ten minutes, slice and enjoy.
So there you have the easy peasy Buttermilk Cheddar loaf and another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond”
Thanks for dropping by and until next time………..