Cheddar Veggie Soup
Chicken soup when you have a cold is just…. well….. gold. However when you don’t have chicken you do the next best thing and use what you have which in this case is veggies and cheddar cheese.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup diced Potatoes
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- 1 small Yellow Onion – chopped
- 4 Celery ribs – chopped
- 1 cup Carrots – chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves – chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried Oregano
- 4 fresh Basil leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- shredded Cheddar cheese for garnish
Putting it all together:
- Heat the oil and butter is a large pot or Dutch.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir well.
- Add in the chicken stock and remaining ingredients except the basil and cheese.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the veggies have softened.
- Add the basil
- Use an immersion blender or blend in batches until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with the cheese.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….