Mashed Potato Cakes
Way back when I was first learning to cook I tossed a lot of leftovers because I didn’t know what to do with them but thankfully over the years I have evolved as a cook and now I come up with different and interesting ways of using leftovers.
This recipe is a very simple way of using leftover Mashed Potatoes and it can be used with so many different dishes including….. Breakfast. I mean really, what’s better than Toast, Eggs and a crispy Mashed Potato Cake to start your day?
Cooks note: When I make mashed potatoes I make them with pepper, granulated garlic, parsley, butter and milk (the cooking water already has salt in it) that way I don’t need to worry about seasoning the potato cakes when I make them.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 4 cups Mashed Potatoes
- 1 bunch Scallions – chopped
- 2 cups shredded Italian style cheese
- All Purpose Flour for dredging
- Vegetable oil for frying
Putting it all together:
- In a non reactive bowl combine the first three ingredients.
- Form into patties.
- Dredge in the all purpose flour making sure to shake off the excess.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a large fry pan.
- Fry the patties in batches until golden brown and remove to a paper towel to drain.
- You can serve as is or top with sour cream and chopped scallions.
There you have it another “Simple bust tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……..