Coconut Cashew Rice
Rice is my usual go to for those occasions when I don’t want potatoes but need a tasty side dish to compliment the main ingredient in the meal.
Now if you simply Google “rice recipes” you will come up with approximately 60 million results so naturally a little thought is required to narrow down the results and not send you racing to the loony bin.
With this particular rice dish the Coconut and Cashew gives the dish a very unique flavour and anything else you add is gravy.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut milk
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 3/4 cup Cashew pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 medium Spanish Onion – chopped
- 1 medium Red Pepper – sliced
- 1 medium Green Pepper – sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves – chopped
Putting it all together:
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and saute the onion for 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice and stir until well coated.
- Stir in the Coconut milk, Chicken stock salt and garlic.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the last five minutes add the peppers and cashews to the rice, re-cover and let sit off the heat.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……..