Was out of town visiting friends for the weekend when the Canadian weather decided it was going to dump a surprise on us….. Freezing Rain. Now for those of you who are not familiar with this phenomenon it simply means that the rain freezes on the ground and turns everything into a skating rink thereby making travel of any kind rather treacherous but it also means that if you have not made it to the grocery store you could be limited to meal ideas and since hash is simply a base of potatoes and onions together with whatever else you want to add it is a quick and easy solution to breakfast or dinner.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes – diced
- 1 small Yellow Onion – diced
- 1 small Yellow Pepper – diced
- 1 small Red Pepper – Diced
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- Fresh ground Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- Parsley for garnish
Putting it all together:
- In a medium pot of water par boil the potatoes until just fork tender, about 10 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and add the onions and peppers and cook for 3 mins. Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add in the seasonings and Worcestershire and cook for about 5 mins more turning it over once.
- Top with the over easy eggs, garnish with the parsley and enjoy.
Cooks note: There is an old line cooks trick for making over easy eggs. Once the eggs have been cracked in the pan or on the flat top cover them with a pot lid until cooked.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….
One thought on “Hash”