Beef and Lentil Stew
Cold season has hit my household and it looks like everyone, save yours truly, has caught one but it is entirely possible, if not probable, that I will sooner or later catch one. Until that time I will continue to look after my guys and so with that in mind I have made them some comfort food that will hopefully help them feel a little better.
Now I have “billed” this one as a stew however from what I can see the only difference between a soup and a stew is the thickness of the broth, except in the case of a Chowder which is thick anyways so if you wanted to make this a soup just thin out the broth.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Sirloin Steak Tails – cut into bite sized chunks
- 3 Celery stalks- chopped
- 2 Carrots – peeled and chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion – diced
- 3 small Leeks, whites only – chopped
- 6 cups Beef broth
- 1 28 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 4 teaspoons Granulated Garlic
- 2 cups Lentils
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Season the beef with salt and pepper and brown in batches removing to a separate bowl.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add back the beef and the remaining ingredients bringing to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and enjoy.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….