Chocolate Cherry Cake
Was going through my dry goods cupboard making a grocery list and came across a tin of Cherry Pie Filling that I forgot I had and figured no time but the present to make something with it.
Now since I am not that proficient at making pie crusts I decided I would use it in a cake and what better combination than Chocolate and Cherries?
I present to you my Chocolate and Cherries Cake.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 cup All Purpose flour – sifted
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 18 ounce can Cherry Pie filling
- 9×13 Cake pan
Putting it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a large non reactive bowl mix together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another large non reactive bowl mix together the remaining ingredients except the cherry pie filling.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and, using a rubber spatula, mix the ingredients together until smooth. Add the cherry pie filling and mix until a batter forms.
- Spray the cake pan with a vegetable oil spray and dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and smooth.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…..