Surf N Turf
Surf N Turf is one of those menu items that usually means an 8 – 10 ounce N Y Strip and a 8 ounce Lobster tail that comes with a price tag that crashes the $50.00 mark but it also means most working class people can’t afford it and that includes me so I came up with an alternative in this cost efficient version….. 4 people for less than $50.00.
Cooks note: The skewers are best when done on a grill however if you don’t have one or the weather won’t let you then the oven is perfectly fine.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 2 1/2 pounds Sirloin Steak tails – cubed into bite sized pieces.
- 1 package 31 – 40 Shrimp – peeled, deveigned and tail off.
- 3 tablespoons Garlic butter
- 1/4 cup Soya sauce
- 1/4 Fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sambal
- 1/8 cup Oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 4 Scallions – rough chopped for garnish
- 12 Bamboo skewers
Putting it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Place the steak pieces into a large non reactive bowl. Mix together the soya sauce, fish sauce, Sambal, oyster sauce and sugar and pour over the steak pieces. Cover and refrigerate.
- Soak the skewers for at least 30 mins before using so they don’t burn.
- Thread the steak on the skewers and place on a sheet tray. Put in the oven for 20 minutes, turning half way.
- While the skewers are cooking quick fry the shrimp in the garlic butter until pink.
- Serve as an appetizer or as the main for your favourite side dish.
There you have it another “Simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……..