Chicken Pot Pie topped with Mashed Potatoes
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those classic comfort foods that if done right is guaranteed to be a real crowd pleaser. This one is a wee bit different because I didn’t have a lot of time to muck around with a pastry crust for the top so I did the next best thing ( at least to me) and that is I topped it with Mashed Potatoes.
The “short cut” that makes this recipe a real time saver is that I used an already cooked BBQ’d chicken from a local source so all I had to do was to break up the chicken and add it to the broth and veggies, top with the mashed potatoes and finish it in the oven. As an addition I sprinkled shredded Parmesan on top for added flavour before it went back in the oven.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 cooked BBQ Chicken (about 3 pounds) – skinned and shredded
- 1/2 large Red Onion – diced
- 4 Garlic cloves – chopped
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes – peeled and quartered
- 2 1/2 cups frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons Chicken Dry Rub (see Dry Rubs and Marinades)
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 3/4 cup Milk
- Shredded Parmesan for topping
Putting it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until just fork tender
- In a separate pot melt the 1/2 cup of butter, add the onions and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour until a Roux is formed. Stir in the vegetable stock, the chicken dry rub and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and vegetables and stir until mixed well.
- Mash the potatoes with the remaining butter and milk.
- Ladle the chicken mixture into individual Ramekins or bowls, top with the mashed potatoes and Parmesan and place in the oven for 3 minutes.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….