Shrimp Spaghetti Carbonara
“Life itself is the proper binge.”
Pasta sauces run the gamut from simple Olive Oil and Garlic to “let it simmer for hours Marinara.” so finding the right one for the dish you wish to make is simply a matter of how much time you have.
Carbonara sauce, although limited to the number of ingredients used, falls into the Intermediate category of sauces mainly because it requires adding a mixture of raw egg and Parmesan cheese to cooked pasta and if it is not done correctly you will wind up with scrambled eggs and no usable sauce.
Cooks note: Adding the egg and cheese mixture to the hot pasta will ensure that the egg is cooked by the heat of the pasta so there is no concern about raw egg in the dish.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 pound Spaghetti
- 1 bag 31- 40 Shrimp – peeled, cleaned and tail off
- 1 1/2 cups frozen Peas
- 3 large Eggs – room temperature
- 2 large Egg Yolks – room temperature
- 2 Shallots – diced
- 4 Garlic cloves – chopped
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Peas Shoots for garnish
Putting it all together:
- In a large pot of salted water cook the pasta per the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking whisk the eggs and cheese together and set aside.
- In a large saute pan melt the butter and saute the garlic and shallots for about three minutes. Add the shrimp and continue cooking until the shrimp is cooked. Mix in the peas and heat through.
- When the pasta is cooked drain all but one ladle full and toss the pasta with the shrimp mixture.
- Carefully temper the remaining pasta water with the egg and cheese whisking until it has been incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish and enjoy.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…….