Chili Cheese Fries
There are foods that North Americans eat that Europeans find really strange….. okay even some North Americans find strange. Things like Poutine, Ketchup Potato Chips, Root Beer and yes…. Chili Cheese Fries.
Now there was a time when Chili Cheese Fries were reserved for county fairs or cheap diners but they have seen a resurgence in popularity recently mainly due to celebrity chefs bringing this dish back into the spotlight because, as with everything else, “what was old is new again.” The other awesome thing with this recipe is that the chili part of this can be made a few days ahead of time and then frozen for when you need it.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 3 cups Chili – See Texas Style Chili for the recipe.
- 1/2 block Old Cheddar – shredded.
- 1 bag frozen French Fries or 4 – 6 fresh cut Yukon Gold Potatoes.
- 3 Scallions – rough cut for garnish.
- Sour Cream for garnish – optional.
Putting it all together:
- If using frozen fries cook them per the bag instructions. If using fresh toss the fries with Canola Oil, salt and pepper and place on a sheet tray in a 425° oven for 18 – 20 minutes.
- While the fries are cooking heat the chili in a medium pot.
- To serve place the fries on a plate, top with the chili and cheese and garnish with the green onion and sour cream.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……..
5 thoughts on “Chili Cheese Fries”
Looks like a great example of comfort food!
Thank you. Goes great with BBQ
I can imagine, so delicious!!