I was cleaning up the other day when I came across this long lost Cast Iron pan and was sad to see the shape it was in.
In days gone by this guy would have been tossed however with the cost of things these days it was worth looking for a way to rescue it. Enter the Internet and a whole slew of ideas on how to bring it back to life. This particular hack seemed to be the easiest and since I was feeling a bit lazy I went with it.
I’m here to tell you this works and works very well……. In my case it took less than 5 minutes to transform the above to this……..
AND…. I used TWO simple ingredients—– Kosher Salt and half a Potato. That’s right!!!! Salt and a Potato… who’d a thunk it.
Here’s how we do this one.
- Kosher salt
- High heat point Cooking Oil – Corn oil or Canola Oil
Putting it all together:
- Put a thin layer of salt in the bottom of the pan and, using the potato, scrub the pan with moderate pressure.
- Rinse the pan and repeat if necessary.
- Rinse out the pan with warm water and dry thoroughly.
- Re season the pan by heating it over a medium low heat and when hot enough brush on a thin layer of the high point oil and “cook” for about 20 mins.
There you have it. This may not be a “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond” but it is a kitchen hack that will last a long time.
Until next time……