Meat on a stick
I love the culture of grilling. It creates an atmosphere that is festive but casual.
Yesterday was Mother’s Day and instead of taking the women in my life….. my wife, daughter and daughter in law….. (my mom lives 2 hours out of town and at 85 doesn’t like to travel far anymore) out to a restaurant for dinner I did the next best thing….. I made them dinner starting with appetizers so they could do as they please and be waited on as befits the day.
The main drawback to this particular recipe is the prep time. The meat needs to be marinated and assembling the skewers is time consuming and somewhat labour intensive however as my son says “there is something about wood and meat that makes it all worth while” and I couldn’t agree more.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 2 pounds bottom Sirloin steak tails (see cooks note)
- 9″ Bamboo skewers
- 2 large Yellow peppers
- 2 large Red peppers
- 2 large Orange peppers
- 1 large Red Onion
For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup sodium reduced Soya sauce
- 1/3 cup Fish sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Garlic Chili sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
Putting it all together:
- Cut the steak and vegetables into bite sized pieces.
- In a non reactive container mix together the soya sauce, fish sauce, garlic chili sauce and sugar. Put the steak in a zip lock bag, pour in the marinade and place in the fridge overnight.
- Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 mins as this will help to stop them burning on the grill.
- Preheat the grill to 375° and then build your skewers by alternating the meat and the veggies until all the skewers are filled.
- Grill and enjoy.
Cooks note: I chose bottom sirloin steak tails because one of our independent grocers carries them and the price is really quite good as is the product however feel free to use whatever steak you wish.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time………..
One thought on “Meat on a stick”
Lucky them! Delicious and pretty.