Chicken and Shrimp Burritos
“Nouvelle Cuisine, roughly translated, means: I can’t believe I paid ninety-six dollars and I’m still hungry.”
When I picked my grandson up from school today he looked at me and said “Pops……. you know what day this is ? It’s Taco Tuesday!!” Now I love Mexican food….. Carne Asada, Pozole, Chicharone and Taquitos……… but lately I’ve kind of gone off Tacos and decided that I wanted something different—– enter Burritos.
There is something about the mix of meat and rice and seasonings that I find very alluring in a Burrito unfortunately the Mexican take out places we have in the area are so heavy handed with the hot sauce that you can’t taste anything else and so I made my own.
Due to having a bunch of starving kids running amok in the house I took the liberty of some short cuts that I don’t normally use because if I didn’t I surely would have lost my sanity.
Oh and my grandson still got his Tacos.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 package of large 10″ Tortillas
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken breast
- 12 Shrimp – shelled and deveined
- 5 teaspoons Vegetable oil
- One package shredded Cheese
- 1 8 ounce can Corn kernels
- 1 10 ounce can Black Beans
- 6 Spring Onions – white only, sliced
- 1 18 ounce can Diced tomatoes
- 3 cups Uncle Ben’s 5 minute Rice
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons granulated Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 tablespoons Salsa Verde
Putting it all together:
- In a large pot bring the water, corn, black beans and tomatoes to a boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, onions and rice. Cover and remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large fry pan heat 3 tablespoons oil, add the diced chicken, season with the chili powder, salt, pepper and smoked paprika and saute for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan heat the remaining oil, add the shrimp and season with the Old Bay. Saute until firm – about 3 minutes. Add to the chicken.
- To build the burrito: Heat a tortilla for approximately 20 seconds. Place some cheese in the center of the tortilla, top with the rice, chicken and shrimp mix, salsa and more cheese. Fold the east and west side flaps of the tortilla until they meet in the middle. Using your thumbs fold the bottom flap up and over and roll until you have made your round burrito.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……..