Surf and Turf burger
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it’s a start.
It’s cold and snowy and blowing and depressing and I want it to end……… come on Mother Nature have a heart BRING ON THE SUMMER—– please??
Okay so my grovelling didn’t work and despite what some rodent proclaimed a few weeks back winter and all it’s icy snowy wonder is here to stay for a wee bit more but that doesn’t mean I can’t dream of warm weather, cold beer and BBQ right?
So in honour of summer dreaming I decided to make Surf and Turf burgers for dinner tonight. Now absolutely everyone has “the best” burger recipe and I for one am not about to get into a war of words over who is right and who is not but suffice it to say the best burger (in my humble opinion) is one where the patty stands on it’s own based on a righteous flavour profile and is simply enhanced by whatever toppings you put on it.
With that in mind here is how we do this one.
- 2 Pounds ground Pork
- 2 Pounds ground Beef
- 12 peeled and deveined 26-30 Shrimp
- 1 medium Onion – minced
- 3 Eggs
- 3 Garlic cloves – finely diced
- 3 tablespoons Blackening Spice
- 2 Tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Red Onion – sliced
- 1 large Tomato – sliced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- handful of Spinach
- Soft Crusty rolls – split
Putting it all together:
- In a large non reactive bowl mix together the pork, beef, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, eggs and blackening spice. Cover and refrigerate for approximately 1 hour.
- Using a standard ice cream scoop form 4 ounce patties.
- Grill or pan fry the burgers until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and add the garlic. While the garlic butter is heating dust the shrimp with the Old Bay and add to the garlic butter. Saute until the shrimp is pink, about 4 minutes.
- Build your burger and enjoy.
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……….
5 thoughts on “Surf and Turf burger”
I would say that burger would be that much greater if you got to actually grill it outside on a grill. 🙂
Very true but pan fry is a pretty good second………
This sounds awesome! I’m going to throw some on the grill this weekend! I love the idea of the garlic shrimp on the burger!
Now you are making me jealous…….. I have to wait until I can get a new BBQ.
I just got a new Weber a couple weeks ago! So nice! My last one was on it’s last leg.