Healthy chicken and vegetable soup
“You can’t go wrong with relatively simple comfort food. It’s also about ease. Some cook to impress. I cook for people to enjoy the food.”
Every once in a while, for no particular reason, I crave something warm and comforting that does not take a lot of time to make and not only tastes good but is good for you……. enter Chicken vegetable soup.
Now as a general rule I avoid trying to make chicken soup of any kind as it usually ends up tasting greasy or oily and that’s not very pleasing to anyone however I surprised myself with this one as it is neither greasy nor oily and that confirmation came from my better half who is also my greatest and most honest critic.
Here is how we do this one.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts – diced
- 5 small boneless skinless chicken thighs – diced
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 2 celery stalks – chopped
- 2 large carrots – chopped
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 cup rough chopped mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 4 cups sodium reduced chicken stock
- small bunch of kale – roughly torn
- 1 10 ounce can pre-boiled lentils (substitute black beans if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
Putting it all together:
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and sear the chicken in batches. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the onion and saute for about three minutes then add the remaining vegetables except the Kale and Lentils and stir until well mixed together.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on until the vegetables are fork tender, about 20 minutes (add aditional stock or water if needed).
- Add the Lentils and Kale and continue to simmer until the Kale is just wilted
- Season with salt and pepper
There you have it “another simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time……