Sausage and clam Carbonara
Let me first begin by wishing one and all a very Happy New Year and may the coming year be filled with nothing but joy and happiness.
I chose this recipe for this post as it is something I have never tried before and to be quite honest I’m not entirely sure I have ever had it before in a restaurant and so it seemed rather apropos to ring in the new year with something fresh and new.
You will notice that I have rated the difficulty for this one as “Medium” and the reason for that is there is a step that is kind of tricky and if it is not done correctly you will wind up with “scrambled egg” pasta.
Here’s how we do this one.
- One large package of Penne
- Five Sun-dried Tomato Turkey sausage – cut into bite sized pieces
- 20 Pasta clams – Scrubbed and de-bearded
- Three tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Three garlic cloves– crushed
- Six Eggs
- 12 ounces diced Pancetta
- One medium Onion – diced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish and colour
Putting it all together:
- Cook the Penne in a large pot of salted water until just al dente
- While the pasta is cooking heat the oil in a large sauce pan and add the onion and garlic cooking until the onion is translucent and the garlic has infused the oil
- Remove the garlic and discard
- Add the pancetta and sausage and cook until both are cooked through
- While the meat is cooking crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl along with the salt and pepper and beat well
- Add the Parmesan to the eggs and mix until well incorporated. Set aside
- Add the cooked pasta, along with a little of the pasta water, to the pancetta and sausage and mix well
- Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly, about five minutes.
- While the pasta is cooling steam the clams until open discarding any that don’t as they are dead
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the pasta and blend until smooth. If the pasta is too hot the egg will scramble
- Plate the pasta and top with the clams and some parsley
There you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time………..
2 thoughts on “Sausage and clam Carbonara”
It looks delicious!