Sweet potato pie
For this recipe I decided to go back to the beginning and make the very first thing I ever learned to bake —- the iconic and oh so good sweet potato pie!
Now when I first heard about this dessert some 20 something years ago I thought “man people were nuts”… I mean really…. potatoes in a dessert? Well I tell you the very first bite had me hooked and the only sad part is I don’t make it nearly enough.
As you can see in the photo (Note to self: Get a different camera) the pie is lacking the one element my family and friends missed and that is whipped cream but seeing as how it was Thanksgiving and I was in the middle of doing about 18 other things I was forgiven. Maybe the next time.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 4 Large sweet potatoes – peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 stick of melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 nine inch ready to bake pie crusts
Putting it all together:
- Boil the sweet potatoes until fork tender
- When cooled place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients except the milk
- Using a hand blender mix all the ingredients until smooth
- Add the milk and mix until incorporated
- Pour equal amounts of the sweet potato mix in the pie crusts
- Place in a 350 degree convection oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the middle clean
- Let cool and dig in
So there you have it another “simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond”.
Until next time……….