Grilled Veal chop with mushroom gravy
I found this picture on an old phone of mine and I thought that in honour of my late father who, by virtue of working in the pork industry for some 40 years, instilled in me a love of pork it would be today’s post.
I would have loved to have done an apple compote for this really nice piece of pork but since I didn’t have any apples I went with a really tasty mushroom gravy instead.
Here’s how we do this one.
- 1 to 1/12 pounds Pork butt chops
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/4 butter
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup All Pupose dry rub (see rubs and marinades)
- 2% Milk or any full fat milk
Putting it all together:
- Heat your grill to 350 degrees
- Season the chops with the All Purpose rub
- Grill the chops until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees and then set aside
- While the chops are resting heat a sauce pan and melt the butter
- Stir in the flour and make a roux
- Add the milk and stir until you get the consistency you wish. Bear in mind that as soon as you add the milk the roux will really thicken. Just keep stirring in the milk.
- Stir in the mushrooms until incorporated again bearing in mind that mushrooms are like sponges and they will soak up liquid like crazy so keep extra milk on hand.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Plate the chops and pour on as much gravy as you wish.
- Add the sides of your choice and enjoy.
There you have it “another simple but tasty recipe for the grilling season and beyond.”
Until next time…………